SIOUX FALLS, SD (KELO-AM) Mayor Mike Huether today announced the recipients of the V. L. Crusinberry Award, Jeanne Fullenkamp Management Excellence Award, and Employee of the Year Award for Safety, the City’s top employee awards.
The 2013 V. L. Crusinberry Award winner is Betsy Odden, Engineering Document Control Specialist, Public Works Department. The V. L. Crusinberry Award, established in memory of former Mayor V. L. Crusinberry, recognizes and honors annually a non-management employee who demonstrates exceptional performance, judgment, productivity, loyalty, professional pride, and other noteworthy accomplishments in relation to City employment.
Betsy is a reliable and enthusiastically dedicated employee who is always eager to take on any additional tasks that are presented. In 2011, Betsy played a key role in the successful adoption of the SIRE software system. Her dedication and willingness to take on extreme challenges also led to her assignment as the department’s Test Lead for the City’s new land management software system called EnerGov. Betsy is a tremendous source of energy in leading the EnerGov adoption efforts, and the department has received compliments from EnerGov representatives regarding her leadership and effectiveness.
The 2013 Jeanne Fullenkamp Management Excellence Award recipient is Sam Trebilcock, Transportation Planner, Planning and Building Services Department. The Jeanne Fullenkamp Management Excellence Award, established in memory of former Human Resources Manager Jeanne Fullenkamp, recognizes and honors annually a high performer and leader in the midmanagement employee group whose performance drives change, builds commitment, maximizes talent, and focuses on excellence in customer service.
After four years and an incredible amount of facilitation and thought-provoking discussion, Sam wrote and updated a 260-page zoning ordinance. This type of document would typically be outsourced to a private firm, but with Sam’s passion, organizational skills, and commitment to serving the citizens, the department was able to accomplish the project in-house. During this past year, Sam also worked on the transit fare analysis, space needs study, and paratransit analysis. Also through Sam’s diligence and advocacy, Sioux Falls is a more bicycle and pedestrian friendly city.
The 2013 recipient of the Employee of the Year Award for Safety is Sandy Frentz, Public Health Manager, Health Department. The Employee of the Year Award for Safety recognizes and honors annually an employee who has made a significant and measurable contribution toward achieving the City’s safety objectives. Employees nominated were chosen by their supervisor for their ability to motivate coworkers, contribute to a heightened safety awareness, and ultimately a safer working environment.
Sandy provides expertise on a myriad of occupational safety and health initiatives designed to protect employees. She is an active member of the Human Services Building Safety Committee, whose charge is to identify and address safety issues facing staff and the public users of Falls Community Health. Sandy is a key team member with the City’s Emergency Management Team and actively prepares and has responded to local and state disasters. Sandy is an Incident Command instructor, serves as a Public Information Officer, and is one of a select group called to respond to state disasters by the request of the Governor’s Office of Emergency Management.
Full List of 2013 Nominees
V. L. Crusinberry Award Nominees:
- Terry Adams, Engineering Technician, Public Works Department
- Darin Cox, Firefighter, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue
- James Lang, Lead Maintenance Mechanic, Public Works Department
- Betsy Odden, Engineering Document Control Specialist, Public Works Department
- David Osterquist, Police Sergeant, Sioux Falls Police Department
- Angela Peterson, Patient Support Technician, Health Department
- Brent Rosenbrook, Lead Sewer Collection Technician, Public Works Department
Jeanne Fullenkamp Management Excellence Award Nominees:
- Blaine Larsen, Police Lieutenant, Sioux Falls Police Department
- Troy Lubbers, Police Lieutenant, Sioux Falls Police Department
- Rick Pudwill, Public Health Laboratory Manager, Health Department
- Duane Stall, Forestry Supervisor, Parks and Recreation Department
- Travis Thom, Battalion Chief, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue
- Sam Trebilcock, Transportation Planner, Planning and Building Services Department
- Lance Weatherly, Civil Engineer P.E., Public Works Department
Employee of the Year Award for Safety Nominees:
- Andrew Baier, Fire Apparatus Operator, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue
- Brian Christiaansen, Michael Koopman, and Bob Vosburg, all Fire Captains, Sioux Falls Fire Rescue
- John Duprey, Police Sergeant, Sioux Falls Police Department
- Sandy Frentz, Public Health Manager, Health Department
- Scott Hinrichs, Engineering Technician, Public Works De