Brookings, S.D. (KELO AM) - The South Dakota State University Engineering Extension Office Advisory Board held its first meeting Dec. 18. The Engineering Extension office administers the South Dakota OSHA Consultation Program through the Federal OSHA 21(d) Grant.
The grant’s primary mission is to provide assistance in creating a safe work environment for the citizens of South Dakota. The Engineering Extension office provides technical assistance on safety and health issues and outreach services to the state’s small businesses at no cost.Board members will provide guidance and advice to the Engineering Extension office through their industry involvement.
The following board members, representing the state’s diverse population and industry, were appointed:
- Agri Business: Peter Bullene (chair), Glacial Lakes Energy; William Spreeman, South Dakota Wheat Growers;
- Construction: Randall W. Chappell, Hills Materials Company; Brian Boe, Mortenson Construction;
- Light Manufacturing: Laurie Gates, ESCO Manufacturing; Kevin Hagen, Mitchell Manufacturing;
- Heavy Manufacturing: Scott Berg (vice chair), Bel Brands USA; Tom Bohnet, Applied Engineering, Inc.;
- Association Partners: Beth Locken, SDACSDA; Debra Biever, Sioux Valley Energy; and
- State and Local Government Representatives: James Marsh, S.D. Department of Labor and Regulation; Teresa Hall, SDSU Construction and Operations Management.
They formed committees for funding and marketing. Berg will chair the funding committee which will research match funding challenges faced by the grant while Gates will chair the marketing committee as it determines public relations challenges and needs by industry.
Per OSHA Policies and Procedures under the OSHA 21(d) Grant Program, all information, observed and/or learned as a result of discussions and/or information shared with this Advisory Board will remain confidential.To learn more about the South Dakota OSHA Consultation Program, interested companies may contact program director Jon Puetz at 605-688-4101. Information is also available on its website.